Planning a Visit
We welcome you to visit Special Collections on the first floor of the Harrison Institute/Small Library, one floor down from the main entrance. Our stacks are not open for public browsing, but retrieval of materials by our staff usually takes only a matter of minutes. We normally do not pull materials in advance of a researcher’s visit except for items housed off-grounds in a storage facility.
Reading Room policies
- Researchers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or a responsible adult in our reading room. Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the reading room.
- Only loose paper, pencils and a laptop computer are permitted in the Reading Room. No bags, envelopes, folders, notebooks, tablets, or containers of any type are permitted. Lockers are provided to secure your belongings.
- Long-term visiting researchers may request a temporary locker assignment during their stay. Please contact Heather Moore Riser, Head of Operations, at (434) 924-4966 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this program.
- Appointments must be made in advance to use media formats such as LPs, audiotapes, videotapes, films, CDs, and DVDs held by Special Collections. In most cases, materials must be reformatted before they can be accessed, sometimes at the researcher’s expense. Please use our online reference request form to ask for further information or to schedule access to audio-visual materials. Access cannot be guaranteed unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Wireless internet is available in the Reading Room. See the University’s page on wireless access http://its.virginia.edu/wireless/ for connection information. Library staff will assist you in setting up wireless internet access when you arrive.
For out-of-town guests
- Visitors may reach Charlottesville by airline (Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport is served by American Airlines, Delta, and United), Amtrak train, and Trailways-Greyhound bus.
- The most convenient points of entry by car are U.S. 29 north or south, and Interstate 64 from east or west.
- Parking is available in the Central Grounds Parking Garage, 400 Emmet St.
- Accessible parking is available on McCormick Road in front of Alderman Library.
- Temporary parking permits for up to three months may be obtained for lots not on Central Grounds. Please see General Visitor Parking Information.
- Hotels within walking distance include: The Cavalier Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Excel Inn & Suites, The Graduate, Hampton Inn & Suites, and the Oakhurst Inn.
More information is available from the Charlottesville-Albemarle Convention & Visitors Bureau.