About Online Reference Requests
Requests to Library Staff
Due to the high volume of requests that we receive, Special Collections can only answer reference questions concerning materials unique to our collections.
- We are unable to answer general reference questions, research book prices or help you find information about books that are not a part of our collection, and cannot undertake in-depth picture research.
- If you would like to request a reproduction of items from our collections and you already have the item information, please see use one of the two options below:
- Submit requests for low-resolution scans (PDFs) on the form below.
- For high-resolution scans, please see the Digital Production Group Request Form.
- You can learn more about how to obtain copies by visiting our Reproduction webpage.
Requests to Independent Researchers and Appraisers
Some research inquiries exceed the scope of the reference service that the staff of Special Collections is able to provide and still maintain essential services to students, faculty, and staff of the University of Virginia.
- If we determine that answering your question will take more than 30 minutes of staff time, we will refer you to our list of independent researchers in the Charlottesville area. These researchers are familiar with our collections and may be employed to do in-depth research.
- If you are interested in researching the value of your books, please visit Independent Appraisers.
Submit a request by filling out the form.